SYRACUSE - Old Fashioned Christmas kicks off the Christmas Season Nov. 25 at Oakwood Resort in Syracuse.
This event features Santa, 50-foot tree lighting, musical groups, caroling, live reindeer, six live characters such as Frosty, Grinch, Gingerbread Man, all done with the goal of keeping Christ in Christmas with a reading from Luke at the historic chapel, live nativity and more, according to a provided news release. Sixty volunteers and performers work to make this event the best of its kind in all of northern Indiana, the release states..
Here is the schedule of activities:
• 5:30 to 6 p.m. –Music groups sing from the stage - Wawasee High School Choir, Vocal Artists of Heartland Sings, Chain Gang Sings. After 6:15 p.m., they will be strolling through the park singing carols.
• 6:05 – Grinch throws T-shirts from the stage.
• 6:15 – Countdown to tree lighting.
• 6:15 – Audience sing-along caroling.
• 6:15 – Park area lighted.
• 6:20 – All activities open: Santa, reindeer, wagon rides, elf reading, chapel.
• 8 – All activities closed.
A map will be available at the Chautauqua Welcome Tent, along with a glow necklace.
Here’s a summary of where to go:
Map of Activities – blue Chautauqua tent
Hot Chocolate – Rotary Tent
S’mores – Boy Scouts by a firepit
Family Fun Photos – WACF tent
Kid’s Holiday Games – Lakeland Youth Center & Syracuse Wawasee Chamber tent
Horse Wagon Rides – Bonneyville Carriage in parking lot near event center
Cookies – by Chautauqua in Cookie Tent
Reindeer food – in Syracuse-Wawasee Museum tent
Elf reading Night Before Christmas – under Event Center Veranda
Santa Claus – under Event Center Veranda
Live Nativity – take the path up to Historic Chapel
Reading of Biblical Christmas Story from Luke – in Historic Chapel
Live Reindeer – near a firepit
Old Fashioned Christmas is a community program with participation from the town of Syracuse Parks Department, Wawasee Area Conservancy Foundation, Syracuse-Wawasee Historical Museum, Syracuse-Wawasee Rotary Club, Oakwood Resort, Syracuse-Wawasee Chamber, Lakeland Youth Center, Milford Christian Church, and many local businesses.
The event is free to attend at Oakwood Resort.