Mentone Council Rejects All Bids To Replace Town Water Meters
April 2, 2025 at 9:22 p.m.

MENTONE – On attorney Austin Rovenstine’s recommendation, the Mentone Town Council rejected all bids to replace water meters in town Wednesday.
On Feb. 28, Commonwealth Engineers opened three bids for the work: $145,569 from EJP; $128,603.95, Utility Pipe Sales; and $165,104.60, Utility Supply Company. The council tabled a decision at their March meeting.
Rovenstine said he spotted a technical issue that could put the town out of compliance with the bidding statute. He said he’s aware what he was saying was arguable, but with a project of that size, he would prefer to err on the side of caution and safety.
Clerk-Treasurer Amanda Yaprak asked what the violation could have been. Rovenstine said the issue was the statue defines a board as having the power to award contracts for public works. He argued the council is supposed to be the ones opening the bids and didn’t think the council could deligated that responsibility to someone else.
He said the other towns he has dealt with will have a public meeting of the council, where the board will open the bids and have the bids read aloud. The council usually takes the bids under advisement and then allows the clerk, superintendent, engineer, etc. to take a look at the bids.
Rovenstine recommended the council reject the bids and rebid the project.
The council will rebid the project and have a special meeting at 5:30 p.m. April 24 to open the bids.
Earlier in the meeting, Yaprak told the council there will be a downtown masterplan committee meeting to review the draft for the masterplan on April 22. The draft has been delivered to the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA), according to the deadline OCRA and the Michiana Area Council of Governments (MACOG) provided. At the meeting, the committee will address any comments OCRA made for the draft. After that, the 50-page draft will be sent to the council for approval.
Yaprak said some of the major things talked about included signage and a brand logo to be put on things for the town. Councilman Tim Croy said other suggestions included sidewalks, lightposts, trash reciprocals and Amish buggy parking.
Also, Taylor Siefker and Williams, who is helping with the plan, sent an invoice of $33,000 for work on the masterplan. It represents 60% of what the town will be invoiced as the town will receive another invoice of $22,000. The money will be paid with Community Development Block Grant Program funds.
In other business, the council:
• Heard the Mentone Youth League opening day parade will start at 8:20 a.m. April 26 at Mentone Elementary School. The parade will go down Jackson Street to Tucker, Main and to Morgan streets.
• Was reminded all public meetings must be livestreamed effective July 1.
• Learned the Mentone Community Makers Market will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, starting May 17.
• Approved stopping help from the sheriff’s office in patrolling town until Deputy Marshal Jeremiah Kinsey goes to the Law Enforcement Academy in October.
• Learned construction at Mentzer Park is on schedule.
Utilities Superintendent Josh Shepherd said the playground equipment has been put in. The park is closed until the work is done.
The council approved an invoice of $16,500 to MACOG for administrative services for the project.
• Learned Town Marshal Keaton Schopf will go around town the week of April 14 looking for ordinance violations.
MENTONE – On attorney Austin Rovenstine’s recommendation, the Mentone Town Council rejected all bids to replace water meters in town Wednesday.
On Feb. 28, Commonwealth Engineers opened three bids for the work: $145,569 from EJP; $128,603.95, Utility Pipe Sales; and $165,104.60, Utility Supply Company. The council tabled a decision at their March meeting.
Rovenstine said he spotted a technical issue that could put the town out of compliance with the bidding statute. He said he’s aware what he was saying was arguable, but with a project of that size, he would prefer to err on the side of caution and safety.
Clerk-Treasurer Amanda Yaprak asked what the violation could have been. Rovenstine said the issue was the statue defines a board as having the power to award contracts for public works. He argued the council is supposed to be the ones opening the bids and didn’t think the council could deligated that responsibility to someone else.
He said the other towns he has dealt with will have a public meeting of the council, where the board will open the bids and have the bids read aloud. The council usually takes the bids under advisement and then allows the clerk, superintendent, engineer, etc. to take a look at the bids.
Rovenstine recommended the council reject the bids and rebid the project.
The council will rebid the project and have a special meeting at 5:30 p.m. April 24 to open the bids.
Earlier in the meeting, Yaprak told the council there will be a downtown masterplan committee meeting to review the draft for the masterplan on April 22. The draft has been delivered to the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA), according to the deadline OCRA and the Michiana Area Council of Governments (MACOG) provided. At the meeting, the committee will address any comments OCRA made for the draft. After that, the 50-page draft will be sent to the council for approval.
Yaprak said some of the major things talked about included signage and a brand logo to be put on things for the town. Councilman Tim Croy said other suggestions included sidewalks, lightposts, trash reciprocals and Amish buggy parking.
Also, Taylor Siefker and Williams, who is helping with the plan, sent an invoice of $33,000 for work on the masterplan. It represents 60% of what the town will be invoiced as the town will receive another invoice of $22,000. The money will be paid with Community Development Block Grant Program funds.
In other business, the council:
• Heard the Mentone Youth League opening day parade will start at 8:20 a.m. April 26 at Mentone Elementary School. The parade will go down Jackson Street to Tucker, Main and to Morgan streets.
• Was reminded all public meetings must be livestreamed effective July 1.
• Learned the Mentone Community Makers Market will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, starting May 17.
• Approved stopping help from the sheriff’s office in patrolling town until Deputy Marshal Jeremiah Kinsey goes to the Law Enforcement Academy in October.
• Learned construction at Mentzer Park is on schedule.
Utilities Superintendent Josh Shepherd said the playground equipment has been put in. The park is closed until the work is done.
The council approved an invoice of $16,500 to MACOG for administrative services for the project.
• Learned Town Marshal Keaton Schopf will go around town the week of April 14 looking for ordinance violations.