Firefighters attack Friday’s fire from the roof of Stacy’s Restaurant and Fine Dining, 309 S. Main St., Leesburg, after the blaze spread to the attic. Photo by David Slone, Times-Union.
Firefighters attack Friday’s fire from the roof of Stacy’s Restaurant and Fine Dining, 309 S. Main St., Leesburg, after the blaze spread to the attic. Photo by David Slone, Times-Union.
LEESBURG – Employees of Stacy’s tried to battle a fire at the Leesburg restaurant Friday, but it ultimately had to be knocked out by firefighters.

The employees used five fire extinguishers to try and contain it, according to chef Jim Bryan.

“We knocked it down, but we couldn’t knock it out,” he said.

Brad Boaz said shortly after 11 a.m. Friday he saw smoke but he thought it was Bryan barbecuing out back. Then the waitresses ran out the front door. Bryan already was fighting the fire with a fire extinguisher when Boaz grabbed an extinguisher to help.

“We did what we could,” Bryan said.





He said he thought a wire from the neon sign above a stack of cardboard boxes may have caused the fire.

No customers were in the building when the fire began. “There were just four of us in the building. The bartender, the waitress, me and my salad girl,” Bryan said.

Stacy’s, 309 S. Main St., was scheduled to open at 11 a.m. The blaze began shortly after the restaurant’s neon lights were turned on, he said.

The boxes are normally kept in one spot until they are moved to recycling, but Bryan said they got pretty high.

“There was a lot of wind with the storm last night, and I’m thinking something else got moved,” he said, glad that no one was hurt.

Owner Tyler Haines said he was in Milford when he got a call to get to the restaurant. He said when he pulled in, it looked pretty bad, but it wasn’t as bad as he thought once the fire was put out.

“It’s mostly the front room. It went up the eave and across the attic in the front room. There’s some smoke and water damage,” Haines said.

Five fire departments responded, including Plain Township, North Webster, Atwood, Milford and Warsaw-Wayne Fire Territory.

“They got it out fast. They’re just a great bunch of guys,” Haines said, thanking the fire departments for their quick response.

He said once in awhile they’ve had grease fires in the hood, like most restaurants, but they’ve never had a fire like Friday’s. The sign on the front of the business says it was established in 1972.

“I don’t know when I’ll reopen. I have no clue,” Haines said.

Plain Township Fire Chief Jared Haughee said the fire was still under investigation Friday afternoon.

He estimated 40 guys from the five fire departments were on the scene.

“It appeared it was mainly focused in the attic. We attacked it from the roof and it didn’t take very long,” Haughee said.

“It’s not a total loss, but the damage is high. No one was hurt or injured,” he said.