BOURBON – It was an emotional week for Triton high school. One week after the death of senior lineman Cameron Fairchild, the school tried to return to a bit of normalcy on Saturday, taking on Caston at home. The Trojans put on a dominating performance, winning 35-16.

The numbers 57 and three were painted on the cheerleader’s faces, fans were wearing shirts with Fairchild’s name in the stands, and the stadium held 57 seconds of silence before kickoff. The emotions poured out of the stands and on to the field. Triton kicked off the game, and started on defense.

Start they did.

On the first play of the game, the Trojans forced a fumble and recovered it two yards outside of the red zone. The team didn’t take long to convert, as sophomore quarterback Cole Shively threw a shovel pass to senior receiver Tyler Amsden. Amsden did the rest, taking the ball 20 yards into the end zone to start off the scoring 45 seconds into the game.

A couple of minutes later, sophomore running back Anthony Schuh, who had carried the load of the offense in Triton’s first two games of the season, erupted for an electrifying 57-yard touchdown run, shedding tackles and rumbling all the way to the end zone. Schuh finished his day with 147 yards on 12 carries with three touchdowns.

“Anthony can be a special kid,” Triton head coach Rodney Younis said. “He definitely is a special talent.”

Saturday’s game also marked the return of Anthony’s brother, junior Trace Schuh to game action. Trace finished with 71 yards on 14 carries and a touchdown of his own.

The Trojans forced thee fumbles in the first half, recovering all of them, including two recoveries by Amsden. The lone Trojan defensive miscue came when Caston senior QB Grant Hickle broke free for a 62-yard touchdown run. The Trojans went into the locker room with a 21-8 halftime lead.

The lead would extend to 28-8 on the first drive of the third quarter, where Triton mounted a ten-play touchdown drive lasting nearly five minutes. It would be the only possession the Trojans would have in a quarter, as Caston answered with a nine-minute touchdown drive of its own. The Comets held possession for nearly three-quarters of the second half, but could only manage one touchdown.

“We knew going into this game that their quarterback and their fullback are two really fantastic athletes,” Younis said. “They’re arguably two of the top guys in our conference. We knew they were going to be a load and we were working hard to keep them out of the end zone. “

The win was punctuated with Trace Schuh’s touchdown with a little over two minutes left. When the final whistled sounded, the team ran over to the painted number 57 in the north end zone, to celebrate the victory with their teammate.

“It was a really tough week and I’m really proud of our boys sticking together through it all.” Younis said.

“We came out on fire.”

Triton moves to 2-1 this fall and will play its next game Friday at home against Bremen.