NORTH MANCHESTER – The Manchester Squires jumped out to an eleven-point lead after a 25 point first quarter, and never looked back, dismantling nonconference opponent Pioneer 81-47 in a game the team never trailed. The Squires are now .500 for the first time this season, winning their second straight game to get to 3-3.

In a game that featured the most points scored by Manchester since December of 2020, the Squires were led offensively by five players who scored in double digits. Sophomore Gavin Martin scored eight points in the first two minutes of the game, on his way to scoring 10. Manchester also used an extremely effective press in the first quarter, resulting in a plethora of Pioneer turnovers that were exchanged into quick Squire buckets. Manchester would score 25 points in the first quarter, with everyone getting involved.

Action slowed down to begin the second quarter, as no points were scored in the first two and a half minutes. Afterwards, the rest of quarter was dominated by freshman Gavin Betten, one of the two Manchester freshmen to put up big nights. Betten would finish the first half a rebound shy of a double double with 12 points and nine boards. He would finish the game with 16 points and 10 rebounds. The Squires would take a comfortable 39-23 lead into the halftime locker room.

A trio of Manchester players really put their stamp on the game in the second half. Senior William Rickerd was consistent for the entirety of the night, but really put his foot on the gas in the second half. He would finish with a game-high 18 points and five rebounds. Senior Cade Jones also had a monster 3rd quarter, and he’d finish with 14. The fifth and final big performance from the Squires came from 5’6” freshman Ethan Hendrix, who finished with 15 points and two steals, including a couple of three-pointers from well behind the line.

The second half acted as a means for Manchester to extend its lead, and extend it did. The advantage ballooned to as many as 37 points before the final whistle sounded. Manchester plays its next games Wednesday, December 29 at the Wabash County Tournament.