LAKEVILLE – Regulation wasn’t enough to settle a defensive battle between visiting Triton and LaVille Friday night in a Hoosier North Athletic Conference football matchup.

Tied 0-0 after 48 minutes of regulation, a Lancer touchdown on the team’s first possession of overtime proved to be the difference in the 7-0 LaVille victory.

After not allowing a point in the second half of their victory against South Central last week, the Trojan defense came to play once again, forcing a trio of three-and-outs to give their offense a shot.

Fresh off of his 155-yard game last Friday, sophomore Anthony Schuh did his best to carry his team to the finish line. Schuh finished with 109 yards on 22 carries, but lacked the big breakaway run that led Triton to success last week.

The offense had its chances, but similar to the first half of last week’s contest, could not keep from shooting itself in the foot. The Trojans committed three turnovers in the first half, including an interception by sophomore quarterback Cole Shively deep in Lancer territory. Shively finished 7-16 passing for 57 yards, an interception and a fumble lost. He also added 12 yards on seven carries, and deflected four passes on defense.

Despite the offensive miscues, the defense kept getting stops. Bending without breaking. LaVille sophomore quarterback Lucas Plummer busted free for a 38-yard-run in the second quarter, taking the ball deep in to Triton territory. The defense responded by stringing together two sacks on the next series to force a punt.

The tide looked to turn in the fourth quarter. After a Shively punt was downed at the LaVille one-yard-line, the defense came through with a three-and out that got the ball back into the Trojans hands at the Lancer 29. It looked like some points were finally going to be scored, but a huge offensive pass interference penalty on Triton killed all momentum and forced another punt.

On the following drive, the Trojan offense started to find some rhythm, with Schuh picking up 20 yards on his first three carries. His fourth looked to be another large gain, but a questionable block in the back penalty was called on the Triton O-line, once again sucking away all momentum like a vacuum. The result of the drive was a missed 47-yard field goal attempt by Shively.

After a failed Hail Mary attempt by LaVille as time expired, the two teams headed to overtime. The Lancers had possession first, and capitalized on it. On third down from the four-yard-line, Plummer scored the game’s lone touchdown on a quarterback keeper. With a chance to answer, the Trojans were only able to muster three yards, and the game ended when Shively’s fourth down pass to the end zone fell incomplete.

Triton will return home next week to take on Caston.