10 Years

Jimmy and Mary Justice, Warsaw, celebrated their 50th anniversary Dec. 15 and were pleasantly surprised this week when they received letters of congratulation from President George W. Bush and Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh. Jimmy's parents received a similar letter from President Ronald Reagan when they celebrated their 50th anniversary.

    Greg Kralis, Warsaw, found what he thinks may be the largest tree in the county in a secret grove near Oswego. He figures the tree is 100 feet tall, despite having some upper limbs missing. The inside is partially hollowed out with an interior diameter of 6-1/2 feet with a 9-foot ceiling.

 
25 Years

Meats judging teams from Whitko FFA and Whitley County 4-H won state championships at the 1991 4-H and FFA judging contest held at Purdue University Jan. 12. Whitko FFA compiled 2,274 points: Jason Haupert, Steve Nicodemus, Mike Whetsel and Tammy Eberly. Whitley County 4-H compiled 2,136 points: Kevin Eiler, Brad Wilkinson, Chris Amburgy and Tonya Werstler. Coach was Roger K. Carr. Haupert was high individual overall.  The teams will represent Indiana at the National contests in Kansas City, Mo. in November.

    The Kosciusko 4-H team of Jason Rhoades, Jamie Stiffler and Janet Studebaker placed fifth among 52 teams.

50 Years
North Manchester's covered bridge over the Eel River was originally built in 1872 by Smith Brothers Construction Co. of Toledo, Ohio, at a cost of $3,515. The community plans to spend approximately $5,000 to restore it as a project for Indiana' s Sesquicentennial celebration. The bridge is built with a Smith-patented truss, with no supports in the center of the 150-foot span. A 12-foot overhang at each end completes the structure, which has an 18-foot roadway and a driving height of 12 feet. The bridge originally had a walkway across the length of the structure and plans are to replace it. The original shingle roof and concrete abutments are still in place, although many repairs have been made over the years. The covered bridge at Dora was a top contender with the Manchester bridge for being the oldest in Wabash County; others in the county were at Liberty Mills, Laketon and Roann, all built in the early 1870's.

75 Years

    This Sunday, January 12, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Warsaw, will dedicate its new building, located at 1720 East Center Street. The local Lutheran congregation was organized April 30, 1937, and up until this time, services have been conducted in the assembly room of the Hotel Hays. Work on the structure was begun on October 3, 1940, by Metzger & Henderson, a local contracting firm. Local labor and materials were used throughout in the building of the church, a frame structure, 28x65 feet, plus the vestibule. The interior has a high ceiling and open scissor truss work supporting the roof. There is a complete basement under the church, with a large hall for Sunday School, a forced air heating system, modern kitchen, and 250 person seating in the main auditorium. Rev. Theo W. Schroeder, now of Youngstown, Ohio, was the first pastor of the congregation.