A monument honoring General Tadeusz "Thaddeus" Kosciuszko will be dedicated at 10 a.m. March 27, at the Kosciusko County Courthouse lawn on the Main Street side. Kosciuszko is the namesake for the county, though he was never in Indiana.

Born in Poland in 1746, he came to America in 1776 and offered his services to the Continental Congress.

The idea of a monument honoring this patriot came from Don Frantz, longtime Warsaw Rotarian. A bust of Kosciuszko is housed in the Kosciusko County Historical Society Jail Museum; however, Frantz thought there should be something on the courthouse lawn for the public to see as well. With the 150th anniversary of Warsaw being celebrated in 2004, it was decided by the Warsaw Rotary Club that a monument should be erected to commemorate this event as well as honor this Revolutionary War hero.

The Warsaw Rotary Club secured the approval of the Kosciusko County government as well as funds and support from the Esther Pfleiderer Trust, Back to the Days of Kosciuszko, Kosciusko District Boy Scouts and Patten Monument Co. The monument also notes the gratitude of freedom given by our creator, secured by our veterans and protected by law and fire personnel.

The ceremony will include the monument's dedication, commemoration of the incorporation of Warsaw on March 25, 1854, and the retirement of the Kosciusko District Boy Scout flag. Kosciusko County has been merged with Whitley County by the Anthony Wayne Council, Boy Scouts of America, to form the new Lincolnway District in 2004.

The first annual "Order Of Kosciuszko" will be presented at the March 27 ceremony, honoring a military, law enforcement or fire veteran who has given exceptional service to others in Kosciusko County.

"We need to remind everyone of our heroes," said Ken Locke, Kosciuszko Monument Committee chairman. "Kosciuszko is an inspiration to us all of one who was willing to put his life on the line for others. Our veterans, law and fire personnel are the real heroes. We hope that this monument reminds each of us for years to come of this truth."

The event is open to the public. For more information, call 269-7937 or e-mail warotary@kconline.com

The Warsaw Rotary Club has served the community for 85 years and was chartered on June 1, 1919.