Pierceton firefighters respond to a fire call on Maple Street Thursday. Photo by Gary Nieter, Times-Union
Pierceton firefighters respond to a fire call on Maple Street Thursday. Photo by Gary Nieter, Times-Union
PIERCETON – A Pierceton resident escaped injury after her home caught fire Thursday afternoon.
According to a Pierceton Fire Department press release, emergency personnel arrived at 204 W. Walnut St. around noon and found light smoke coming from the basement of the home.
The occupant stated that she had heard a loud pop and the home began to fill with smoke as she fled. Further, the resident told fire crews that she had shut off the sump pump because it was running constantly.
The utilities were shut off so firefighters could safely enter the structure to investigate. Upon entering the basement, fire crews encountered substantial flooding. According to the release, the water level had risen to the point of potentially shorting out the electrical components on the furnace and water heater.
There was water damage to the home, though no fire damage as the fire was extinguished almost immediately.
Pierceton Fire was assisted by Multi-Township EMS and Warsaw/Wayne Township Fire Territory.
According to county records, the home is owned by Donald E. and Linda S. Chilson, Reed City, Mich.