Warsaw Police Department Officers Ryan Coble and Joshua Lawson were sworn in during Friday’s Warsaw Board of Public Works and Safety meeting. Pictured (L to R) are: Scott Whitaker, Warsaw police chief; Coble; Lawson; and Joe Thallemer, Warsaw mayor. Photo by Jennifer Peryam, Times-Union.
Warsaw Police Department Officers Ryan Coble and Joshua Lawson were sworn in during Friday’s Warsaw Board of Public Works and Safety meeting. Pictured (L to R) are: Scott Whitaker, Warsaw police chief; Coble; Lawson; and Joe Thallemer, Warsaw mayor. Photo by Jennifer Peryam, Times-Union.
Warsaw Board of Public Works and Safety Friday approved a payment to A & Z Engineering for Husky Trail road improvements.
The $25,159.40 payment is for preliminary engineering.
The project includes roadway, sidewalk, street lighting and drainage design services; geotechnical investigation; and utilities coordination.
The city will pay for 20 percent of the project cost including engineering, and will be reimbursed for the other 80 percent.
Land acquisition begins in July, and bid letting will begin in August 2015.
Also during the meeting, Warsaw Mayor Joe Thallemer swore in Warsaw Police Department officers Ryan Coble and Joshua Lawson.
The board approved a contract between the city and Kosciusko County Farmers Market that will allow the market to set up in the city hall parking lot Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. beginning today and continuing until Oct. 25.
In other business, the board approved declaring an emergency for the repair of a 12- by 31-foot area on the southwest side of the city hall roof on Buffalo Street.
According to Jeremy Skinner, the roof is leaking in the hallway by the elevator next to the Warsaw Building and Planning Department.
The board reviewed three bids from ORR and Smith Roofing, Royalty Roofing and Farmwald Enterprises.
Trent Stamper, Warsaw building maintenance supervisor, said the roof is 24 years old and recommended the city approve a contract with Royalty Roofing.
Jennifer Whitaker, human resources director, said the company does not E-Verify as required by the city. E-Verifying is ensuring that employees are legally permitted to work in the United States by permit or citizenship.
Whitaker will check with the company to see if they will E-Verify, and if they won’t she will seek other quotes from companies who will e-verify.
The board also:
• Approved a $20,912.99 payment to Game Time Sinclair Recreation for replacing playground equipment and safety tiles at Kiddieland Playground.
• Approved the city providing a $3,500 donation to Warsaw Community Development Corp. for fireworks for the Warsaw-Winona Lake Fireworks over Winona Lake July 4 at 10 p.m.
• Approved salaries for Quinten Stamper as a parks department laborer at $14.29 hourly; Lindsay Baker at $8.25 an hour to assist the mayor’s secretary with a Walk N Wander statue project; and a cemetery groundskeeper at $9 an hour for summer help with the person to fill the position to be determined.
Other salaries approved were Zackary Swope at $14.98 an hour as a street department refuse collector; Larry Hilliard as a street department laborer at $14.84 an hour; and Thomas Rozelle as a street department equipment operator at $15.60 an hour.
• Approved a right of way agreement pending Kosciusko County Council approval to allow the city to place a welcome sign on county property at the intersection of CR 200S and County Farm Road. The sign will welcome incoming traffic from the south.
• Approved a $490 contract with Kosciusko County Community Fair for annual booth rental for public awareness of wastewater and stormwater.
• Approved a temporary road closure for the Fat and Skinny Tire Festival stunt show May 16 from 5 to 11:30 p.m. on Center and Buffalo streets.